eportfolio and profiling trials and pilots
There are four aims for this project
- to develop digital literacy through establishing a safe environment in which to exercise and practice digital identity
- to provide an electronic environment for portfolios for reflective learning, PDP, CPD and assessment
- provide opportunity for students and staff to create ad-hoc groups for social and informal learning outside and alongside as well as within the VLE
- to make a learner-centred, Web2.0 environment available to the institution including profiling, portfolios and blogs
What is Web 2.0 and the social internet?
- Portfolios connect prior achievement with future personal development planning
- Blogs and wikis enable and inspire thinking and working together.
- Social networking online models real world professional and community practice.
Brookes Student Learning Experience (BSLES)
With funding from the Brookes Student Learning Experience Strategy (and see this article in Teaching News), we propose to trial and evaluate two electronic portfolio systems in the Business School, Westminster Institute for Education, the School of Health and Social Care and OCSLD for PDP, CPD and PDR. The systems are PebblePad and Elgg. These systems will be available more widely and contacts are being followed through the Careers Centre and Alumni Office.
The Phase 1 proposal document is here (downloads 300K Word doc).
The Phase 2 proposal is here(downloads 300K Word .doc).
Brookes has considerable experience with eportfolio systems and processes through the Joint Information Systems Commiee (JISC) myWorld (Petal) project and participation in the Centre for Recording Achievement (CRA), Becta: eportfolio experts reference group (EPERG) and other research, development and evaluation projects funded by the Higher Education Academy (HEA), Higher Education Funding Council (HEFCE), and JISC.
A key aim of the project is to bring some of this experience of eportfolio practice across the sector back home to Brookes.
This project will Investigate scenarios of use of eportfolios at Brookes.
We are experimenting with three applications:
These applications will be supported in the context of Brookes Virtual applications: Blackboard CE6 and this Confluence Wiki.